Preparation for the Major

Two lower-division courses (EDUC 10 or EDUC 11 and EDUC 35) must be taken for a letter grade and passed with a grade of “C” or better.

The Major

Required: 9-10 upper-division courses for a minimum of 40 units distributed as follows:

(1) Two (2) courses from each of the following three Areas of Competency

Histories and Philosophies of Education

  • Education M102, M103, M108, 117, 118, C124, C125, 129, 130, 134, 147, 152A, 152B, 162, 164

Contexts of Teaching, Learning, and Development

  • Education M104, 120, 122, 123, 127, 132, 133, M136, 137, 138, 141, 143, 152C, C160, CM163, 166, CM178, M190, M190SL, M194A, M194B, M194C,  196C, 196D

Inquiry and Design for Learning

  • Education 139, 150, 151, 152, 156, 159, 188A

(2) At least one (1) additional course in Education, which may come from any of the Areas of Competency or from courses designated as “Electives”

(3) Education 180 [Must be taken prior to any community engagement course]

(4) One community engagement course chosen from the following – Education M104, 159, 185, 188A, 188B, M190SL, M194A, M194B, M194C, 195CE, 196C, 196D

(5) Education 181 [Capstone course to be taken in last term and after the community engagement course]

Other Related Policies

Each course must be at least 4 units and taken for a letter grade. The upper-division Education courses must be completed with a minimum overall GPA of 2.0.

Undergraduate students may repeat a total of 16 units, and only those courses in which they receive a grade of “C-” or lower. “NP” or “U” grades may be repeated to gain unit credit. Repetition of a course more than once requires the approval of the Dean and is granted only under extraordinary circumstances.

Graduate-level courses (200-level only) may apply toward the degree units but do not apply toward any Major requirements.  To take a 200-level graduate course and have the units apply towards the bachelor’s degree, advance approval is required from the course instructor, the Department Chair, and the Dean of the School.  If you wish to pursue having a 200-level graduate course count for units, please consult with the undergraduate advisors in the Office of Student Services.