Requirements for Admission

Students entering UCLA as first-year students as well as first-term transfer students who indicate Education and Social Transformation as their first-choice major on the general UC Application will be admitted as pre-majors. After completion of the lower-division prerequisites and 45 lower-division units, they may apply for admission to the major online here.

Current UCLA students who were not admitted directly to the Education and Social Transformation pre-major will need to file an application for admission to the pre-major online here.

Please note that the completion of the prerequisite courses and the application does not guarantee admission to the major.

All students are identified as Education and Social Transformation pre-majors until they satisfy the following minimum requirements: (1) achieve grades of “C” or better in the two lower-division prerequisite courses, and (2) file an application to enter the major before completing 135 quarter units.

Preparation for the Major:
Two lower-division courses (EDUC 10 or EDUC 11 and EDUC 35) must be taken for a letter grade and passed with a grade of “C” or better. Undergraduate students may repeat a total of 16 units, and only those courses in which they receive a grade of “C-” or lower. “NP” or “U” grades may be repeated to gain unit credit. Repetition of a course more than once requires the approval of the Dean and is granted only under extraordinary circumstances.

Freshman Students:
Students must apply for admission to the Education and Social Transformation major. Admission into the major is based on each student’s academic performance in the prerequisite introductory courses as well as their overall academic record at UCLA. Please consult Education’s undergraduate advisors for admission requirements.

Transfer Students:
Transfer applicants with 60 semester/90 quarter transferable units will be considered for admission based on academic performance in the prerequisite introductory courses. Transfer credit is subject to department approval. Consult an Education undergraduate advisor before enrolling in any courses for the major. For up-to-date information regarding transfer selection for admission, please refer to the UCLA Transfer Admission Guide on the UCLA undergraduate admission website.