Distinguished Research Professor
- Ph.D., Philosophy, New York University
- B.A., Douglass College of Rutgers University
Awards, Honors, Fellowships
- 1989. Elected to membership in Sigma Xi.
- 1990. Woman Philosopher of the Year, Eastern Division Society for Women in Philosophy.
- 2000-05. Co-editor of Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society.
- 2007. Awarded The Douglass (College) Society Membership.
- 2007-08. Appointed as a Phi Beta Kappa National Lecturer.
- 2009. Received American Education Research Association (AERA) Award for Distinguished Contributions to Gender Equity in Education Research.
- 2011. Appointed Distinguished Affiliate Professor of Philosophy, Michigan State University, East Lansing
- 2012. Appointed Distinguished Professor of Education and Gender Studies. UCLA
- 2013. Awarded John Desmond Bernal Prize of Society for the Social Studies of Science (4S). (This is 4S’s highest award. Among earlier awardees are Robert Merton, Thomas Kuhn, Mary Douglas, and Joseph Needham.)
Teaching & Research Interests
- Feminist and postcolonial theory
- Research methodology
- Philosophy of science
Teaching & Administration
Distingished Research Professor (Retired) UCLA 2014-
Distinguished Professor of Education and Women’s Studies, UCLA, 2012–2014
Distinguished Affiliate Professor of Philosophy, Michigan State University 2010-2014
Co-Editor, Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society 2000–2005
Professor of Education and Women’s Studies, UCLA, 1996-2012
Director of the Center for the Study of Women, UCLA, 1996-2000
Adjunct Professor of Philosophy and Women’s Studies, UCLA, Half-time 1994-1996
Visiting Professor of Gender Studies, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, April-June 1993.
Visiting Professor of Women’s Studies and Philosophy, Jan-June UCLA, 1992
Visiting Professor of Philosophy, University of Costa Rica, July 1990
Visiting Professor of Philosophy and Women’s Studies, University of Amsterdam, January 1987
Professor of Philosophy, University of Delaware, 1986-1996
Director of Women’s Studies, University of Delaware, 1985-91, 1992-93
Joint Appointment to Sociology, University of Delaware, 1981-1996
Associate Professor of Philosophy, University of Delaware, 1979-86
Assistant Professor of Philosophy, University of Delaware, 1976-79
Assistant Professor of Philosophy, The Allen Center, SUNY-Albany, 1973-76
Objectivity and Diversity: Another Logic of Scientific Research 2015
The Postcolonial Science and Technology Studies Reader. Edited. 2011
Sciences From Below: Feminisms, Postcolonialisms, and Modernities 2008.
Science and Social Inequality: Feminist and Postcolonial Issues. 2006.
The Feminist Standpoint Theory Reader. Edited. 2004.
Science and Other Cultures: co-edited with Robert Figueroa. 2003.
Decentering the Center: Philosophies for a Multicultural, Postcolonial and Feminist World, co-edited with Uma Narayan. 2000.
Is Science Multicultural? Postcolonialisms, Feminisms, and Epistemologies. 1998.
The ‘Racial’ Economy of Science: Toward a Democratic Future. Edited. 1993.
Whose Science? Whose Knowledge: Thinking From Women’s Lives. 1991.
Feminism and Methodology: Social Science Issues. Edited. 1987
The Science Question in Feminism. 1986.
Discovering Reality: Feminist Perspectives on Epistemology, Metaphysics, Methodology, and Philosophy of Science. Co-edited with Merrill Hintikka. 1983. Second edition 2003.