Wasserman Dean, GSE&IS
- Wasserman Dean, GSE&IS
- Distinguished Professor of Education
- Ph.D., Department of Anthropology, University of California, Berkeley (1986)
- M.A., Department of Anthropology, University of California, Berkeley (1981)
- A.B., Department of Psychology, University of California, Berkeley (1980)
Awards, Honors, Fellowships
- Member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 2014
- Special Advisor to the Chief Prosecutor, The International Criminal Court, The Hague, The Netherlands, 2012
- The Fisher Membership Fellow, Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, NJ, 2009-2010
- Fellow, Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences, Stanford, 1992-1993
- The Virginia and Warren Stone Prize, Awarded Annually by Harvard University Press for an Outstanding Book on Education and Society, 2007
- Orden Mexicana del Águila Azteca. (The Mexican Order of the Aztec Eagle), 2006
- Member of the National Academy of Education. (Elected April 2004)
- America’s 100 Most Influential Hispanics. Hispanic Business Magazine, 2001
- Master of Arts, Honoris Causa, Harvard University (1995)
Teaching & Research Interests
My research focuses on conceptual and empirical problems in the areas of cultural psychology and psychological anthropology with an emphasis on the study of mass migration, globalization, and education.
Learning a New Land: Immigrant Students in American Society. (Carola Suárez-Orozco, Marcelo Suárez-Orozco, and Irina Todorova). (2008) Cambridge MA: The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press.
Latinos: Remaking America. Second Edition. (Marcelo M. Suárez-Orozco and Mariela Páez, Editors). (2009) Cambridge, MA and Berkeley, CA: David Rockefeller Center for Latin American Studies at Harvard University and University of California Press.
Making Migration Work. (Marcelo Suárez-Orozco, Carola Suárez-Orozco, and Carolyn Sattin-Bajaj). Peabody Journal of Education, 2010, 85 (4): 535-551.
Migrations and Schooling. (Marcelo Suárez-Orozco et al.) Annual Reviews of Anthropology. 2011, Vol. 40:311-28.
Writing Immigration: Scholars and Journalists in Dialogue. (Marcelo M. Suárez-Orozco, Vivian Louie and Roberto Suro, Editors). (2011) Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press.