- Professor of Education (and of Information Studies)
- The MacArthur Foundation Chair in Digital Media & Learning, 2011-2016
- Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley, Psychology, 1979
- B.A., State University of New York at Stony Brook, Psychology, 1974
Teaching & Research Interests
- School improvement
- Organizational learning
- Application of computing and networking technology to teaching and learning
- Applied cognitive science
- Human-computer interaction
- Curriculum design
O’Day, J., Bitter, C., & Gomez, L. (Eds.). (2011). Education Reform in New York City: Ambitious Change in the Nation’s Most Complex School System. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Education Press.
Bryk, A. S., Gomez, L. M., & Grunow, A. (2011). Getting ideas into action: Building networked improvement communities in education. In Frontiers in Sociology of Education, (Ed.) Maureen Hallinan. New York, NY: Springer Publishing.
Gomez, K., Sherer, J., Herman, P., Gomez, L., Zywica, J., & Williams, A. (2010). Supporting meaningful science learning: Reading and writing science. In A. Rodriguez (Ed.), Science education as a pathway to teaching language literacy. Rotterdam, Netherlands: SENSE Publishing.
Maroulis, S., Guimera, R., Petry, H., Stringer, M. J., Gomez, L. M., Amaral, L. A. N., Wilensky, U. (2010) Complex Systems View of Educational Policy Research. Science, 2010; 330 (6000): 38 DOI: 10.1126/science.1195153
Gomez, L. & Hentschke, G. (2009). K-12 education: the role of for-profit providers. In Bransford, J., Gomez, L., Lam, D. & Vye, N. (Eds.) Research and practice in education: Toward a reconciliation. Harvard University Press.