- Professor of Education (and of Psychology)
- Co-director, CRESST
Ph.D., Quantitative Psychology, 2008, University of North Carolina
Awards, Honors, Fellowships
- 2007 ETS, Gulliksen Psychometric Research Fellowship
- 2009 AERA, Outstanding Quantitative Dissertation Award
- 2010 NCME, Brenda H. Loyd Outstanding Dissertation Award
- 2011 APA, Anne Anastasi Early Career Award
- 2011 Society of Multivariate Experimental Psychology, Elected Member
- 2012 Society of Multivariate Experimental Psychology, Cattell Early Career Award
- 2012 Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers
Teaching and Research Interests
- Latent variable models
- Item response theory
- Nonlinear models
- Statistical computation
Cai, L., Yang, J. S. & Hansen, M. (2011). Generalized full-information item bifactor analysis. Psychological Methods, 16, 221-248.
Cai, L. (2010). Metropolis-Hastings Robbins-Monro algorithm for confirmatory item factor analysis. Journal of Educational and Behavioral Statistics, 35, 307-335.
Cai, L. (2010). A two-tier full-information item factor analysis model with applications. Psychometrika, 75, 581-612.
Cai, L. (2010). High-dimensional exploratory item factor analysis by a Metropolis-Hastings Robbins-Monro algorithm. Psychometrika, 75, 33-57.
Cai, L., & Lee, T. (2009). Covariance structure model fit testing under missing data: An application of the supplemented EM algorithm. Multivariate Behavioral Research, 44, 281-304.