Chair, Information Studies Department
- Professor of Information Studies
- Chair, Information Studies Department
- Ph.D., Information Studies, University of Sheffield, 1994
- M.Sc., Information Management, University of Sheffield, 1991
- B.A. (now M.A.), Philosophy / Social and Political Sciences, University of Cambridge, 1987
Teaching & Research Interests
- Philosophy of texts
- Cultural informatics
- Theoretical foundations of services that provide access to texts, images, and other cultural artifacts
- Information ethics
- Library classification
- Museum informatics
- Moving image cataloging
Philosophy and information studies. In Annual Review of Information Science and Technology: Vol. 44, ed. Blaise Cronin, 161-200. Medford, NJ: Information Today, 2010.
Folksonomies. In Encyclopedia of Library and Information Sciences, ed. Marcia J. Bates and Mary Niles Maack, 1858-1866. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2010.
Dewey deracialized: A critical race-theoretic perspective. Knowledge Organization 34 (2007): 144-168.
Conceptual analysis: A method for understanding information as evidence, and evidence as information. Archival Science 4 (2004): 233-265.
Information studies without information. Library Trends 52 (2004): 427-447.