Acting Chair, Department of Information Studies
- Distinguished Professor of Information Studies
- Bernard and Martin Breslauer Professor of Bibliography
- Acting Chair, Department of Information Studies
- Ph.D, Ecriture, University of California, Berkeley, 1986
- M.A. Visual Studies, Berkeley, 1982
- B.F.A., Printing, California College of Arts and Crafts,
Teaching & Research Interests
- History of the book
- Alphabet historiography
- Modeling interpretation for electronic scholarship
- Digital aesthetics
- Design of information visualization
SpecLab: Digital Aesthetics and Speculative Computing (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2009)
Graphic Design History: A Critical Guide, with Emily McVarish (Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Pearson/Prentice Hall, 2008).
“Digital Provocations and Applied Aesthetics” Projects in Speculative Computing,” Small Tech: The Culture of Digital Tools, Byron Hawk, David M. Rieder, and Ollie Oviedo, eds., (Minneapolis, MN: Univerisity of Minnesota Press, 2008) pp.150-165.
“The Virtual Codex,” A Companion to Digital Literary Studies, Ray Siemens, ed. (Oxford: Blackwell Publishing, 2007) pp.216-232.
“Quantum Leap: Beyond Literal Materiality,” Looking Closer 5, (NY: Allworth Press, 2006) pp.26-31.