Acting Chair, Department of Information Studies (1/1/19 - 6/31/19)
- Acting Chair, Department of Information Studies (1/1/19 – 6/31/19)
- Associate Professor
- Ph.D., Science & Technology Studies, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- M.Sc., Computer Science (cryptology), Université de Montréal
- B.Sc., Computer Science, Université de Montréal
Teaching & Research Interests
- Dynamics of the computing infrastructure
- Authenticity of electronic information
- Materiality and computing
- Technology, memory, and oblivion
- Social dimensions of cryptography and information security
- Digital preservation
- Privacy and data retention
- Sociology of mathematics
- Electronic records and accountability
Blanchette, J.-F., Running on Bare Metal: Materiality and Modularity in the Computing Stacks. Under contract, The University of Chicago Press.
Yoo, C. S. and Blanchette, J.-F. (eds.) Regulating the Cloud: Policy for Computing Infrastructure, forthcoming 2015, The MIT Press.
Blanchette, J.-F., “Viewpoint: Computing as if Infrastructure Mattered,” Communications of the ACM, Vol. 55 No. 10, 32-34 (2012).
Blanchette, J.-F., Burdens of Proof: Cryptographic Culture and Evidence Law in the Age of Electronic Documents. 2012, The MIT Press.
Blanchette, J.-F., “A Material History of Bits,” Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 62 no. 6 (2011): 1042-1057.
Blanchette, J.-F., “The Noise in the Archive: Oblivion in the Age of Total Recall,” in Privacy and Data Protection : An Element of Choice. (Serge Gutwirth, Yves Poullet, Paul De Hert, and Ronald Leenes, Eds.), pp. 25-38. Springer, 2011.
Blanchette, J.-F. and Jonhson, D., “Data Retention and the Panoptic Society: The Social Benefits of Forgetfulness,” The Information Society, 18, no. 1 (2002): 1-13.