Ph.D., Education-Social Sciences and Comparative Education, UCLA
M.A., Education-Social and Multicultural Foundations, California State University, Long Beach
Teaching Credential, California Single Subject, Social Science and Secondary Education, California State University, Long Beach
B.A., History, California State University, Long Beach
A.A., Liberal Arts, Los Angeles Harbor College
Teaching & Research Interests
- Critical pedagogies
- Postcolonial and decolonial theories
- International higher education
- Citizenship/civic education
- Globalization, global learning, and global citizenship education
- Teaching and Teacher education
- Community engagement
- Learning through student activism and social movements
- Qualitative and ethnographic methodologies
Awards, Honors, Fellowships
- 2014-2105: Visiting Scholar, Graduate School of Education, American University in Cairo
- 2012: Leigh Burstein Award
- 2012: Elwood H. Zillgitt & Mildred B. Finney Fellowship
Dorio, J.N., Abdou, E.D., & Moheyeldine, N. (Eds.) (2019). The Struggle for Citizenship Education in Egypt: (Re) Imagining Subjects and Citizens. New York: Routledge.
Dorio, J. N. (2018). Lessons From Los Angeles: Self-Study On Teaching University Global Citizenship Education To Challenge Authoritarian Education, Neoliberal Globalization And Nationalist Populism. Journal of Global Citizenship & Equity Education, 6(1), 208-234.
Dorio, J.N. (2017). The Revolution as a critical pedagogical workshop: Perceptions of university students reimagining participatory citizenship(s) in Egypt. In Nagwa Megahed (Ed.) Education During the Time of the Revolution in Egypt: Dialectics of Education in Conflict. Comparative and International Education: A Diversity of Voices Book Series (pp. 11-36). Rotterdam, the Netherlands: Sense Publishers.
Dorio, J.N. (2017). Pedagogy of Transition: Understanding university student movements in post-2011 Egypt. In Rowhea Elmesky, Carol Camp-Yeakey, Olivia Marcucci (Eds.), The Power of Resistance: Culture, Ideology and Social Reproduction in Global Contexts (pp. 341-366). WA, UK: Emerald Group Publishing.
Torres, C.A. and Dorio, J.N. (2015). Dos and Donts of Global Citizenship Education. Adult Education and Development Edition 82/2015.