- Ed.D., Education, Harvard University, 1990
- M.A., Psychology., Harvard University Extension, 1985
Teaching & Research Interests
- Structural Inequality
- Democratization of computer science
Honors & Awards
2016 White House Champion of Change Awardee
- Margolis, J. et. al (2008, 2017). Stuck in the Shallow End: Education, Race, and Computing. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Margolis, J. and Fisher, A. (2002). Unlocking the Clubhouse: Women in Computing. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Margolis, J., Goode, J., Flapan, J. (2017). A Critical Crossroads for Computer Science for All: “Identifying Talent” or “building Talent,” and What Difference Does it Make?. In Moving Students of Color From Consumers to Producers of Technology (eds. Rankin, Y. and Thomas, J.) Hershey, PA: IGI Global Publishers.
- Margolis, J. and Goode, J. (2016). Ten Lessons for CS for All. In ACM Inroads magazine, Special Issue on Broadening Participation in Computing. 2016, Vol. 7, No. 4. Read the article.
- Jean Ryoo, Joanna Goode & Jane Margolis (2016): It takes a village: supporting inquiry- and equity-oriented computer science pedagogy through a professional learning community, Computer Science Education, DOI: 10.1080/08993408.2015.1130952 Read the article.
- Margolis, Goode, Binning (2015). Expanding the Pipeline -Exploring Computer Science: Active Learning for Broadening Participation in Computing. Computing Research News. Oct. 2015, Vol. 27/No. 9. Read the article.
- Margolis, Goode, Chapman (2015). An Equity Lens for Scaling: A Critical Juncture for Exploring Computer Science. ACM Sept. 2015, Vol. 6, No. 3. Pp. 58-66. PDF. Read the article.
- Margolis, J., Goode, J., Ryoo, J. (2014). Democratizing Computer Science Knowledge. In Educational Leadership, STEM For All December 2014/January 2015 | Volume 72 | Number 4. p. 48-53. PDF Read the article.
- Goode, J., Margolis, J., & Chapman, G. (2014). Curriculum is not enough: The educational theory and research foundation of the exploring computer science professional development model. In Proceedings of the 45th ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education (pp. 493-498). Read the article.
- Margolis, J., Goode, J., Chapman, G., Ryoo, J. (Sept. 2014). In the CACM journal. That Classroom “Magic:” Teaching Practices for Broadening Participation in Computer Science.
- Ryoo, J.J., Margolis, J., Lee, C.H., Sandoval, C.D.M., & Goode, J. (2013). Democratizing computer science knowledge: transforming the face of computer science through public high school education. Learning, Media, and Technology. Read the article.
- Margolis, J., Ryoo, J.J., Moreno, C.D.S., Lee, C., Goode, J., & Chapman, J. (2012, Dec). Beyond access: Broadening participation in high school computer science. ACM Inroads, 3(4), pp. 72-78. Read the article.
- Goode, J., Chapman, G., Margolis, J. (2012). Beyond Curriculum: The Exploring Computer Science Program. ACM Inroads. 3(2), 47-53. Read the article.