- Post-Doctoral Fellow Neuropsychiatric Institute UCLA
- PhD University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- MA Peabody College, Nashville Tenn
- BS Oregon State University
Teaching & Research Interests
I study the social and communicative abilities of children. My research aims to develop novel, targeted interventions to improve social and communicative development in children with autism, and other neurodevelopmental disorders. My current research focuses on infants and toddlers at risk for autism spectrum disorder (ASD), minimally verbal and highly verbal children with ASD, and children with complex neurodevelopmental disorders (Tuberous Sclerosis Complex, Down syndrome). Interventions are mediated through therapists, teachers, paraprofessionals and parents and in community contexts, such as schools and homes. Much of my work focuses on under-represented populations in research (low income and minority children, girls with ASD, minimally verbal children), and I use sophisticated intervention methodologies, such as sequential multiple assignment randomized trials (SMART designs) and community partnered participatory research methods (CPPR). The goal of this work is to determine the most effective interventions that can be deployed and sustained in the community.
- Shire, S, Chang, Y-C, Shih, W, Bracaglia, S. Kodjoe, M., Kasari, C (2016, in press) Hybrid implementation model of community partnered early intervention for toddlers with autism: A randomized trial. Journal of Child Psychology & Psychiatry.
- Kasari, C., & Smith, T. (2016). Forest for the Trees: Evidence‐Based Practices in ASD. Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice, 23(3), 260-264.
- Kasari, C., Dean, M, Kretzmann, M, Shih, W., Orlich, F., Whitney, R, Landa, R., Lord, C, & King, B., (2016). Children with autism spectrum disorder and social skills groups at school: a randomized trial comparing intervention approach and peer composition. Journal of Child Psychology & Psychiatry, 57, 171-179.
- Kasari, C., Gulsrud, A., Paparella, T., Hellemann, G., & Berry, K. (2015). Randomized comparative efficacy study of parent-mediated interventions for toddlers with autism. Journal of consulting and clinical psychology, 83(3), 554.
- Kasari, C., Lawton, K, Shih, W., Landa, R., Lord, C., Orlich, F., King, B., Wetherby, A., Senturk, D. (2014). Caregiver-mediated intervention for low-resourced preschoolers with autism: An RCT. Pediatrics, 134 (1), 72-79. PMID: 24958585
- Kasari, C., Kaiser, A, Goods, K, Neitfeld, J, Mathy, P, Landa, R, Murphy, S, Almirall, D. (2014) Communication interventions for minimally verbal children with autism: Sequential multiple assignment randomized trial. Journal of American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 53, 635-646. PMID: 24839882