Alexander (Sandy) Astin
Allan M. Carter Professor Emeritus
- Allan M. Cartter Professor Emeritus
- Founding Director, Higher Education Research Institute
Currently Co-Principal Investigator (with Helen S. Astin) on a seven-year longitudinal study of students’ spiritual development funded by the John Templeton Foundation.
Ph.D., Psychology, University of Maryland, 1958
Teaching & Research Interests
- Higher education policy in the United States
- Educational reform
- Human consciousness
- Spirituality in higher education
- Values in education
- Impact of different types of institutions on student development
- Assessment and evaluation research in higher education
Astin, A. W., Astin, H. S., & Lindholm, J. A. Cultivating the Spirit: How College Can Enhance Students’ Inner Lives. SanFrancisco: Jossey-Bass, 2011.
Astin, A. W., Astin, H. S. , & Lindholm, J. A. Assessing students’ spiritual and religious qualities. Journal of College Student Development, in press.
Astin, A. W. & Denson, N. “Multi-campus Studies of College Impact: Which Statistical Method is Appropriate? Research in Higher Education, Vol. 50, No.4, June 2009, 354-367
Astin, A. W. Mindworks: Becoming More Conscious in an Unconscious World. Information Age Publishing, 2007.
Astin, A. W. “Why Spirituality Deserves a Central Place in Higher Education.” Liberal Education, Vol. 90, No. 2, Spring 2004, 34-41.