- Post-doctoral scholarship, Department of Educational Foundations, University of Alberta, Canada, 1988
- Ph.D., International Development Education, Stanford University,1983
- M.A., International Development Education, Stanford University, 1982
- M.A., Political Science, Latin American Faculty of Social Science (FLACSO), 1978
- Teaching Credential, Sociology, Faculty of Science Education and Social Communications, Universidad del Salvador, 1974
- B. A., Sociology (honors diploma), Faculty of Social Science, Universidad del Salvador, 1974
Teaching and Research Interests
The political sociology of education; the impact of globalization on K-12 and higher education; the intersection of area studies, ethnic studies, and comparative international education; the political seconomy of adult education; social theory; and the life and work of Paulo Freire.
- President of the World Council of Comparative Education societies (WCCES)
- Correspondent Member to the Mexican Academy of Sciences
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada
- Founding Director of the Paulo Freire Institute in São Paulo, Brazil; Buenos Aires, Argentina; and UCLA
- Former Director of the UCLA-Latin American Institute
Torres, Carlos Alberto, Political Sociology of Adult Education, Rotterdam, Sense Publishers, 2013. Torres, Carlos Alberto, Globalizations and Education. Collected Essays on Class, Race, Gender, and the State. Introduction by Michael W. Apple, Afterword by Pedro Demo. New York, and London Teachers College Press-Columbia University, 2009.
Torres, Carlos Alberto, Education and Neoliberal Globalization. Introduction by Pedro Noguera. New York, and London, Routledge, 2009.
Torres, Carlos Alberto and Pedro Noguera (Editors) Social Justice for Teachers. Paulo Freire and Education as a Possible Dream. The Hague, The Netherlands, Sense publishers, 2009.
Carlos Mora Ninci and Guillermo Ruiz (Compiladores) Carlos A. Torres et al. La sociología política de la educación en perspective internacional y comparada. Las contribuciones de Carlos Alberto Torres. Buenos Aires, Miño y Dávila, 2008.
Herrera, Linda, and Carlos Alberto Torres (editors) Cultures of Arab Schooling. Critical Ethnographies from Egypt. New York, Suny Press, 2006. Rhoads, Robert A. and Carlos Alberto Torres, eds. The Political Economy of Globalization: The University, The State and Market in the Americas. Stanford University Press, 2005.