- Ph.D.,Education, Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, University of Toronto
- Teaching Credential, Toronto Teachers College, Canada
- B.Ed, University of Toronto, Canada
- M.Ed, Brock University, St. Catharines, Canada
- B.A., University of Waterloo, Canada (Faculty of Arts, Elizabethan Drama)
Awards, Honors, Fellowships
- 2013 Outstanding Educator in America Award from the Association of Educators in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts and Commerce
- Fellow of the American Educational Research Association
- Distinguished Fellow in Critical Studies, Chapman University
- The Central New York Peace Studies Consortium Lifetime Achievement Award in Peace Studies
- First Annual Social Justice and Upstander Ethics in Education Award presented by the Department of Education, Antioch University, Los Angeles.
- Ana Kristine Pearson Award in Equity in Education and Economy presented by The Center of Education and Work, the University of Toronto.
- International Award in Critical Pedagogy, Ministry of Education, Venezuela
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Pedagogy and Theater of the Oppressed, Inc. and Miami University of Ohio.
- Award of Honor in Critical Pedagogy. Department of Adult Education and Lifelong Learning, Ankara University, Turkey.
Teaching and Research Interests
Critical pedagogy, critical ethnography, political sociology of education, critical theory, Marxist theory, revolutionary social movements, critical race theory, social justice education.
McLaren, P., Macrine, S., and Hill, D, (Eds). (2010). Revolutionizing Pedagogy: Educating for Social Justice Within and Beyond Global Neo-liberalism. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
Nocella, A., Best, S., & McLaren, P. (Eds.) (2010). Academic Repression: Reflections from the Academic Industrial Complex. San Francisco: AK Press.
Sandlin, J.A. & McLaren, P. (Eds.). (2009). Critical Pedagogies of Consumption: Living and Learning in the Shadow of the "Shopocalypse”. New York and London: Routledge.
McLaren, P., & Jaramillo, N. (2007). Pedagogy and Praxis in the Age of Empire: Towards a New Humanism. Rotterdam and Tapei: Sense Publishers.
McLaren, P. (2006). Rage and Hope: Interviews with Peter McLaren on War, Imperialism and Critical Pedagogy. Peter Lang Publishers, New York.
McLaren, P. (2005). Life in Schools (5th edition). New York: Allyn & Bacon.
McLaren, P. (2005). Capitalists and Conquerors: Critical Pedagogy Against Empire. Lanham, Maryland: Rowman and Littlefield.
McLaren, P. & Farahmandpur, R. (2005). Teaching Against Global Capitalism and the New Imperialism. A Critical Pedagogy. Lanham, Maryland: Rowman and Littlefield.
McLaren, P. (2000). Che Guevara, Paulo Freire, and the Pedagogy of Revolution. Lanham, Maryland: Rowman and Littlefield.