Awards, Honors, Fellowships
- 2011-2013 American Evaluation Association, Board Member at Large
- 2004 American Evaluation Association, Marcia Guttentag Early Career Achievement Award
- 1997-2000 Spencer Foundation Research and Training Doctoral Fellowship
Teaching and Research Interests
- My work has three main foci: applied evaluation research studies, research on evaluation practice, and theoretical analysis. Conducting applied evaluation research studies offers me the opportunity to mentor students and apply evaluation and social science theory in field settings with the purpose of improving our society. The aim of my research on evaluation practice is to strengthen our understanding of evaluation as a method for facilitating social change by contributing to an empirical knowledge base of the factors and conditions that influence evaluation practice. My theoretical scholarship intends to advance frameworks for understanding evaluation models with the goal of refining practice. In addition to my research, I am committed to training educational scholars in mixed-methods, and evaluation and research methods.
- I am the former Chair of the Theories of Evaluation Division and the Research on Evaluation Division and now serve on the board of the American Evaluation Association (elected) as member at large (2011-2013). I served as a section editor of the American Journal of Evaluation (2004-2009) and serve on the editorial board of Studies in Educational in Evaluation.
Select Recent Journal Publications
Christie, C.A. & Fierro, L. (2013). Evaluation policy to implementation: An examination of scientifically based research in practice. Studies in Educational Evaluation.
Christie, C.A. (2012). Advancing empirical scholarship to further develop evaluation theory and practice. Canadian Journal of Program Evaluation.
Franke, T.M., Ho, T, & Christie, C.A. (2012). The chi-square test: Often used and more often misinterpreted. American Journal of Evaluation.
Alkin, M.C., Vo, A. & Christie, C.A. (2012). The evaluator's role in valuing: Who and with whom. New Directions for Evaluation.
Christie, C.A. & Vo, A. (2011). Promoting diversity in the field of evaluation: Reflections on the first year of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation evaluation fellowship program. American Journal of Evaluation, 32(4), 547-564.
Fierro, L. & Christie, C. A. (2011). Understanding evaluation training in schools and programs of public health. American Journal of Evaluation, 32(3) 448-468.
Christie, C.A., & Fleischer, D. (2010). Insight into evaluation practice: An analysis of evaluation studies published in North American evaluation focused journals. American Journal of Evaluation 31(3), 326-346.
Heberger, A., Christie, C.A., & Alkin, M. (2010). Understanding the influence of evaluation on other disciplines: A bibliometric analysis. American Journal of Evaluation 31(1), 24-44.
Select Book Chapters
Christie, C.A. & Alkin, M.C. (2012). An evaluation theory tree. In M.C. Alkin (Ed.), Evaluation Roots (2nd Ed). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Christie, C.A & Klein, B.M. (2009). Developing a community of practice: Learning and transformation through evaluation. In B. Cousins and K. Ryan (Eds.) International Handbook of Educational Evaluation. Thousand Oaks: Sage.
Alkin. M.C., Christie, C.A. & Rose, M. (2006). Communicating evaluation. In I. Shaw, J. Greene & M. Mark (Eds.), Handbook of Evaluation. London: Sage.
Fitzpatrick, J., Christie, C.A. & Mark, M. (Eds.) (2008). Evaluation in Action: Interviews with Expert Evaluators. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Donaldson, S.I., Christie, C.A. & Mark, M. (Eds.) (2008). What Counts as Credible Evidence in Evaluation and Evidence-based Practice? Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.