- Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley, School of Library and Information Studies, 1972
- MLS, University of California, Berkeley, School of Library and Information Studies, 1967
- BA, Pomona College, Claremont, CA, 1963
Teaching & Research Interests
- Information-seeking behavior
- Search strategy
- Subject access in manual and automated systems
- User-centered design of information retrieval systems
Bates, Marcia J. “Fundamental Forms of Information.” Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 57, #8 (2006): 1033-1045.
Bates, Marcia J. “Speculations on Browsing, Directed Searching, and Linking in Relation to the Bradford Distribution.” In: Emerging Frameworks and Methods: Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Conceptions of Library and Information Science (CoLIS 4). Edited by Harry Bruce, Raya Fidel, Peter Ingwersen, and Pertti Vakkari. Greenwood Village, Colo.: Libraries Unlimited, 2002, pp. 137-150.
Bates, Marcia J. “The Cascade of Interactions in the Digital Library Interface.” Information Processing and Management 38 (2002):381-400.
Bates, Marcia J. “The Invisible Substrate of Information Science.” Journal of the American Society for Information Science 50, #12 (1999): 1043-1050.
Bates, Marcia J. “Indexing and Access for Digital Libraries and the Internet: Human, Database, and Domain Factors.” Journal of the American Society for Information Science.