Mission & Values
GSE&IS is dedicated to inquiry, the advancement of knowledge, the improvement of professional practice, and service to the education and information professions. We develop future generations of scholars, teachers, information professionals, and institutional leaders. Our work is guided by the principles of individual responsibility and social justice, an ethic of caring, and commitment to the communities we serve.
Regarding scholarship, we value:
- The systematic pursuit of new knowledge and its application;
- High academic standards and integrity;
- An intellectually open, collaborative, and collegial environment;
- The freedom to pursue one’s intellectual passions; and
- The consideration of multiple points of view and rival hypotheses.
Regarding teaching, we value:
- The intellectual and professional development of students;
- The development of students who excel as scholars, teachers, and professionals;
- A nurturing, caring professional environment; and
- The empowerment of individuals.
Regarding our institution, we value:
- Inclusiveness, which includes treating and involving all GSE&IS faculty, administrators, staff, and students as a team pursuing our mission; and
- The creation of democratic environments.
Regarding the broader community, we value:
- The involvement of diverse audiences in planning and executing our professional outreach and research activities,
- The pursuit of social justice; and
- A commitment to the public trust.